Thursday, December 26, 2013

My Mother is a Liquor Store Manager

For Christmas I got one hundred dollars and a bottle of Wild Turkey 101.  It is exactly what I would have asked for if I were the kind to be gauche enough.

A freak warm front moved onto the plains today, as happens from time to time over the winter, especially in the more unstable west.  Temps in the lower fifties Fahrenheit.  Earlier I took a hike to the southwest of North Platte, saw the lower South Platte valley and the hills beyond in all their starkness and felt renewed.  Once you reach the edge of this town, at 24,000 people the largest settlement in a hundred mile radius, the sudden change to frontier openness really is quite stark.  On South River Road I could have sworn that I heard a distressed fly.   

No comments:

Post a Comment